Post-Operative Instructions: General Cosmetic Surgery
Tips for a healthy recovery: Post-op cosmetic surgery
The recovery period after surgery varies from person to person, and depends on the procedure you’re having and whether multiple procedures are being performed at the same time. Regardless of the procedure, there will be both physical and emotional issues to consider during recovery. Here are some helpful hints for a healthy recovery:
- Reduce swelling following facial surgery by applying ice. Ask your surgeon how long you should continue this.
- Keep your head elevated for a few days. This will reduce swelling and speed the recovery process without compromising the results.
- Depending upon the surgery, recovery time could range from a few days to a few weeks. Keep this in mind as it affects your work, family, and social schedules after surgery.
- Patients may often look worse before fully healing. The final cosmetic results won’t reveal themselves for several weeks.
- Follow your surgeon’s guidelines. Whether it’s taking prescribed medication, or when to resume regular exercise, or hygiene instructions, your surgeon can provide the best advice for a safe and healthy recovery.
- Arrange for care for the initial 48 to 72 hours after surgery. Having someone there to assist you will bring peace of mind and allow the healing process to occur normally, and will often help with a better recovery.
- Rehydrate your body often. Surgery can reduce fluids in your body. Drinking water frequently will help replenish lost body fluids. For the first several days, eat light and eat food that is easy to swallow and digest.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight. Use sunblock with proper UV protection to protect your skin.
- Be sure to check with your doctor about which over-the-counter and prescription medicines you should avoid during recovery.
Give us a call with any questions or concerns at (805) 648-5121.