Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery of San Buenaventura CA
The eyelid lift or blepharoplasty is a procedure designed to remove excess fat and skin from the upper and lower eyelids. It improves droopy eyelids and puffy bags below the eyes and restores a more youthful and rested appearance of the eyes. It may be combined with an eyebrow lift to correct drooping eyebrows.
Who is a Candidate?
- If you have excessive, sagging or wrinkled upper or lower eyelid skin.
- If you have excess upper eyelid skin that interferes with vision.
- If you have lost your natural upper eyelid crease.
- If you have puffy pouches of fat in the upper or lower eyelids that create a tired or aged appearance.
Procedure and Recovery
- The operation is usually done on an outpatient basis under local anesthesia alone or under IV sedation.
- The incisions are hidden where the natural crease should be in the upper eyelids. Excess fat and skin are removed.
- The incision for the lower eyelids is usually inside the lower lids, avoiding external incisions and scar.
- If there is significant “laxity” of the lower eyelid, a canthopexy or tightening procedure may be done at the same time.
- A forehead lift, carbon dioxide laser resurfacing, chemical peel, and Botox maybe done to enhance the esthetic outcome.
- All sutures are usually removed within 7 days.
- Discomfort is usually mild and controlled with oral medication.
- Swelling, bruising and sensitivity to light may last 1-2 weeks.
- Eye makeup may be used following suture removal and healing of the incisions. Old makeup should be discarded as it may promote bacterial growth and postoperative infection.
- Contact lenses can be worn after the initial post operative visit.
Ready to schedule an appointment? Call us today!