Instructions Regarding Anesthesia
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery of San Buenaventura CA
A word on fasting before surgery
It is a well-established practice to ask patients scheduled for any type of surgery utilizing General Anesthesia to fast for a minimum of 8 hours prior to surgery. This is done for the patients safety. Consumption of even small amounts of solids or liquids causes the stomach to secrete digestive acids and enzymes.
These substances are extremely harmful to the tissues of the lungs. During General Anesthesia the normal reflexes that prevent you from inhaling liquids are subdued. Therefore, any sort of regurgitation of the stomach contents could lead to life threatening complications. We ask that you follow the instructions carefully for your safety and to avoid cancellation of your procedure.
- It is important that you do not eat or drink anything, including water for 8 hours before your surgery. Food in the stomach can result in serious complications. We ask that you follow the instructions carefully for your safety and to avoid cancellation of your procedure.
- Please do not chew gum or use breath mints prior to your procedure.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco for 24 hours prior to your surgery.
- If you are taking medication for high blood pressure, diabetes or other medical conditions, please discuss them with your surgeon prior to surgery. You may have your medication with few sips of water only up to 2 hours prior to surgical appointment time.
- For women, if you are or think you may be pregnant, please notify your surgeon.
- Please call our office if you develop a cold, fever, sore throat, respiratory infection, stomach or bowel upset or other illness prior to surgery.
- Please remove any nail polish. Do not use hair spray or body lotion. Do not apply makeup, especially mascara or lipstick.
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing and shoes. Leave valuables, such as jewelry or large amounts of money at home. Contact lenses and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Please leave all your valuables such as jewelry, watches, Cell phones, etc. at home or with your driver.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
Following Your Surgery
- Do not drive, sign important papers or make critical decisions for at least 24 hours after surgery.
- Do not operate machinery, power tools or appliances for 24 hours.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours.
- Your surgeon will give you post-operative instructions regarding your diet, activity restrictions and medication. If you have any difficulties or concerns, please call your surgeon.
If, after your procedure, you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at: Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery of San Buenaventura Phone Number 805-648-5121 or Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery of San Buenaventura Phone Number 805-646-2944.
Ready to schedule an appointment? Call us today!